The second and final part of the final shelf builds for the studio. Overall really happy with the new storage in the studio room, I guess we have been living with it for a few months now between filming and posting this video and it’s been great to just walk in and find stuff fast.
In part 2 I show the new power boards I found for the room and explain why I picked them over some cheaper ones. The shelf build itself was pretty quick and easy – about 12-15 mins each. We try the supplied wall mount again…. and I show you the better way I worked out for actually attaching the shelves to the wall which was the whole reason for doing another set of shelf videos I think. Finally, we wrap with a look at how the whole project came out and compare to where we started
0:00 Start and new power boards.
4:12 Shelf build (time-lapse most of it)
6:55 Take 2 on using the supplied mount kit – and the clever new bit.
13:45 Review of the shelves and looking around our new space and storage.
OK firstly – Hello :) Been ages since I have had the time to edit and upload a video. (don’t really have time now but it’s either this or do a uni assignment so…) Had loads of fun launching the channel a few months ago but got behind in everything else so had to take a “little break”. I’ve got about 6 or 7 videos recorded and ready to edit / publish, plus plenty of more ideas to come over the summer break – including a couple of new additions to the family for everyone to meet.
Wanted to do another shelf build incorporating all the ideas and mistakes made doing the first ones. In Part 1, I go over the unboxing of the Montgomery Shelves, connecting the sides with pins and brackets, and talk a bit more about anchoring these types of things to the wall securely.
And yes – I spelled Montgomery wrong in the new video title card….
Apologies for some of the sound in this video too. Kids were playing outside in the swimming pool, had a different audio setup along the way. But I think it came out OK. I did a course on iMovie a few months ago so hoping to work on those skills a bit over the holidays.
Here I simply pack the shelf we have been building the last few days, as shown in the last couple of videos. What I didn’t know about until editing the video was the bonus entertainment feature… I’ll let you find out for yourself. Absolutely cracked me up.
How NOT to attach a shelf to a wall… followed by How TO attach a shelf to a wall…
Here I explain how I attach the Bunnings Montgomery shelf I assembled earlier to a plasterboard wall. This is really important as many kids and adults get severely injured or die each year from accidents involving pulling shelves and bookcases down on top of themselves.
As you will see in the video – it doesn’t go so well the first time using the provided kit that came with the shelf. But I’ll let you discover why – as I did watching this video back and seeing the mistake.
Ultimately you can do this fairly easily for about $2-$3 a shelf and takes 10-15 minutes. So really there is no excuse to not secure things like this. Actually in a future video I have planned I have an even easier way to do this for other types of shelving or if its already in place and full.
I also cover the basics of using a stud finder.
This is Part 4 of our Studio update series. Keep watching till the end for a surprise visitor!
Unboxing and building a Montgomery 5 Shelf Metal Storage Unit I picked up from Bunnings Hardware for around $49.
Montgomery seems to be a “cheap” brand from Pinnacle who I have used before. You can definitely tell the difference in the quality of materials (as you will see in a big fail in the video), but ultimately for $50 it’s a pretty decent shelf for general storage like this.
I’ve done a few similar units before so I will pass on a few hints and tips in building these types of units. In the next video I look at securing the shelf unit to the wall for safety – including another fail from the Montgomery stuff.
After doing the initial workshop tour (see link below), I spent about 3 hours cleaning up the basics. Cleared up all the recycling and bagged it, swept the floor, put away all the pots, and just generally tidied up. Still left with a fair bit to do for next weekend but at least its a start and you can see the workbenches again.
Had some great feedback and ideas for shelving etc – please keep them coming in the comments below or on facebook.